close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Code Enforcement

 Michael Demers qrcode_appointment
  Code Enforcement Officer
  Local Plumbing Inspector
  Addressing Officer

Phone: (207) 636-2844 ext 3

Office Hours:
By appointment or by chance
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9am-4pm

Thursday 4pm-7pm, 1st Saturday of month 9am-12pm
Please set up an appointment using the link above

The department is also charged with the enforcement of the Shoreland Zoning, the State of Maine Internal Plumbing Rules, the State of Maine Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules and Floodplain Management Ordinance. Each Ordinance has specific administrative procedures for the review of applications, inspections and enforcement.

In addition to the rules that we administer, we are also required to enforce dozens of other state and federal land use rules, regulations and laws. 

The Code Enforcement Officer also acts as the E-911 Addressing Officer. 

Town Building Code: "MUBEC"

Please be advised, pursuant to 10 M.R.S. § 9724(1), that the applicable building code of the Town of Shapleigh is the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code ("MUBEC"). MUBEC consists, in part, of the 2015 versions of the International Residential Code (IRC) and the International Building Code (IBC).  All construction in the Town of Shapleigh must comply with applicable standards of MUBEC.

The following building codes are in effect:

  • 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
  • 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
  • 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)

Residential Compliance Using REScheck
The REScheck product group makes it fast and easy for builders, designers, and contractors to determine whether new homes, additions, and alterations meet the requirements of the IECC or a number of state energy codes.

Trees in the Shoreland Zone may require a permit prior to removal
Review DEP guidelines and submit a Tree Permit Application

Licensed Arborists