August 07, 2020  11:27 PM 

I will be out of Town from August 4th until the 8th
Calls have been forwarded to my cell and I will be checking email

If you need inspection before Tuesday you can call Norm at 6O8-2544 (needs 48 hours notice) and specify it's in Shapleigh

Town of Shapleigh
Mike Demers CEO
22 Back Road · PO Box 26
Shapleigh, Maine 04076-0026

Regular Office Hours
Tuesday-Wednesday-Friday 8:30 - 4:30
Thursday evenings from 4:30 - 8:00
First & last Sat of the month 9:00 - 1:00

§ 105-4D(10)

The new "Shed Ordinance"

New accessory structure in the Shoreland District.

[Added 3-14-2020 ATM by Art. 5]
On a nonconforming lot of record on which only a residential structure exists, and it is not possible to place an accessory structure meeting the required water body, tributary stream or wetland setbacks, the Code Enforcement Officer may issue a permit to place a single accessory structure, with no utilities, for the storage of yard tools and similar equipment. Such accessory structure shall not exceed 80 square feet in area nor eight feet in height, and shall be located as far from the shoreline or tributary stream as practical and shall meet all other applicable standards, including lot coverage and vegetation clearing limitations. Additionally the following apply:
In no case shall the structure be located closer to the shoreline or tributary stream than the principal structure.
In no case shall the structure be located within 10 feet of a side lot line or 25 feet from the edge of the road or right-of-way.
At no time shall the structure be expanded.
The structure shall not be used for habitation.
Section 105-35 of this chapter does not apply when the criteria in this subsection are met.

Trees in the Shoreland Zone may require a permit prior to removal
Review DEP guidelines and submit a Tree Permit Application to my office



Maine DEP 888.769.1036

Maine State
Fire Marshall

Maine State
Electrical Inspector

We ask that you schedule an appointment to meet with the CEO for a building and plumbing permits

Permit-by-Rule (NRPA Chapter 305)

In an emergency situation where action needs to be taken quickly to avoid slope failure or excessive erosion, a Notification can be hand-delivered to the appropriate DEP office and approved immediately. If this is necessary, please contact the office and arrange an appointment with staff to ensure that someone will be available to look at the notification.

The Natural Resources Protection Act Chapter 305 Permit-by Rule Standards (CMR 06 096 Ch 305) contain an expedited permitting process that typically applies to de minimus or routine activities, provided they are undertaken in a manner that minimizes the impacts on the affected natural resource(s). The permitting process requires the submittal of a Permit-by-Rule Notification Form to Maine DEP, along with a nominal permit fee and a description of the work to be performed. In order to qualify for a Permit-by-Rule, the project design must be able to be constructed in accordance with the prescribed standards outlined by the appropriate section(s) of the Chapter 305 Rules. Standards are categorized by project type and it is possible to design a project that qualifies in more than one section, so be sure to read all the sections. For example, a typical shoreline stabilization project may require filing under Section 2, “Activity adjacent to a protected natural resource,” and Section 8, “Shoreline stabilization.” Permit-by-Rule notifications are processed by DEP within 14 days of receipt. The DEP does not typically notify the applicant of an approval, so it is recommended that notifications be submitted by certified mail with a return receipt request so that the applicant can track the 14-day review time. If a permit is rejected by the DEP, the applicant will receive written notification with an explanation for why the notification was rejected.

 Permit Fee Schedule  Plumbing Permit Fee Schedule
 A Handbook for Shoreland Owners  Vegetation in the Shoreland Zone

CMP Forms and Permits