|August 23, 2017|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting – Time 7:00 pm
August 15, 2017
Call to Order
Mark R. Cobb, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at the Shapleigh Town Hall with William J. Mageary and Michael S. Perro in attendance. Also, in attendance was Karla Bergeron, Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen.
In Attendance: Art Ingersol, Kathy Fagan, Skip Bartosch and Roland Legere
Pledge of Allegiance was recited
Approval of minutes from previous meeting:
· Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the minutes from August 8, 2017. Motion carried unanimously.
· Roland Legere asked the Selectmen if they had seen the response from Maura Herlihy, Chairman of the Mousam Lake Dam Coalition to the letter Roland had sent her earlier. Basically, the response to schedule a meeting of the members of the Dam Coalition has not been scheduled. Maura feels it would be easier to send out emails with updates on the Emery Mills Dam project. The Town Manager is out of the office but she will speak with him to schedule a meeting. Roland will forward the response from Maura to the full Board.
Road Commissioner’s Report: North/South:
● John Burnell, Road Commissioner, North, was not able to attend tonight’s meeting.
● Caleb Chessie, Road Commissioner, South, was not able to attend tonight’s meeting.
● William J. Mageary mentioned 21st Street and Point Road need the Road Commissioners attention. Sections on both of these roads have been washed out. This information will be forwarded to the Road Commissioner, South.
1. Fire Department Job Description – The Selectmen met with the Fire Chief on Wednesday, August 9th. To clarify there will be only 1 Lieutenant appointed. Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve the amended Fire Department By-Laws Organizational Structure as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously. The request for funding for continuing education classes was discussed with the Fire Chief during the meeting last Wednesday. Somehow the invoice was delayed in being sent out, so the class had already begun before the invoice was received and approved by the Town. The invoice for classes was approved on Wednesday, August 9th.
2. Pine Spring Development Water – Michael S. Perro stated that a letter needs to be written to Pine Springs Development/Water LLC regarding the meeting they had concerning how the development was approved by the Town. The Selectmen were not able to find where the Pine Springs Development covenants were approved at the same time as the subdivision was approved. A letter will be written for the BOS to review and approve at the next regular BOS meeting.
1. Metrocast/Atlantic Broadcast Packet - The BOS reviewed the packet of information explaining the change in ownership which will take place the first of 2018. All Metrocast employees will be rehired by Atlantic Broadcast and all current contract obligations will be honored with Atlantic Broadcast. Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J. Mageary to sign the Atlantic Broadcast resolution to purchase Metrocast Cable. No further discussion. Motion carried.
2. Letter from a Concerned Citizen regarding Fireworks – The BOS read the letter from a Shapleigh resident who would like the Board of Selectmen to consider an ordinance restricting fireworks to be used over bodies of water only. The letter explained there are violators who are not following the Maine State Statute. The BOS feel this is an enforcement issue where the local law enforcement should be contracted to enforce the state law. The Selectmen will follow up with Deputy Shaw regarding the violations.
3. PTO Request for the Executive Secretary – Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J Mageary to approve the Executive Secretaries request to use 11 hours of PTO time. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
4. Executive Session for a Personnel Matter Pursuant to 1 MRSA 405 (6)(a) – Motion was made at 7:25 pm by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J. Mageary to enter into an Executive Session pursuant to 1 MRSA 405 (6)(a) personnel matter. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously. The BOS came out of the Executive Session at 7:31 pm.
5. Fire Arms – William J. Mageary and Michael S. Perro stated they had been contacted regarding people carrying firearms into a Town building. After discussing this matter the BOS would like the Executive Secretary to contact Maine Municipal Association Legal Department to see what the Maine State Law is regarding people who find it intimidating.
6. Health Benefits – Michael S. Perro stated he is in the process of researching other providers for Health Insurance. Michael is interested to see what other plans are out there and if it would be beneficial to switch providers.
1. Shapleigh Community Day Committee Minutes
2. CEO Letter regarding possible violation
3. Maine Municipal Association Letter regarding 2018 Health Trust changes
4. Rescue 24 hour coverage – William J. Mageary mentioned the Rescue per diem scheduled was 100% covered for last week’s schedule
2. PTO Request
3. Metrocast/Atlantic Broadcast Resolution
Adjourn – Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to adjourn at 7:42PM. Motion passed unanimously.
These minutes are not verbatim. Karla Bergeron, Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen.
Board of Selectmen
August 23, 2017 7:13 PM