|August 11, 2014|
Shapleigh Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes for July 8, 2014
Shapleigh Town Hall 7:00 pm
Selectmen in Attendance: Mark R. Cobb, Chairman called the meeting to order with William J. Mageary and Michael S. Perro being present. Executive Secretary Karla Bergeron was in attendance as well.
Others attending: Roland Legere, Zack Lemelin, Steve Foglio, Roger Allaire, John Burnell, Art Ingersol, Skip Bartosch and Richard Goodwin
· Call the Meeting to Order: Mark R. Cobb, Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
· Pledge of Allegiance
· Reading and Approval of the minutes from:
July 1, 2014 – motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Mark R. Cobb to accept minutes as read. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
· Public Comment:
· Zack Lemelin (ASYCC) – asked to speak to the BOS in order to update them on the price quotes he was able to obtain regarding the work needed by the Goose Pond Overlook. After review of the information provided, Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J. Mageary to approve the erosion control project which will be completed by the Acton/Shapleigh Youth Conservation Corp. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously. Funding for project will be derived from ground maintenance.
· Roland Legere – asked to speak to the BOS regarding a few items.
· Metrocast Cable – the public channel is no longer available to Shapleigh residents. Roland feels this is a huge loss since many residents work in Sanford and often watch the various meetings that are broadcast on that channel. The BOS stated they will investigate this matter further to see why this has been discontinued.
· Primary Election – asked the hours may be extended to accommodate the residents who travel to work and leave early. Roland is suggesting opening the polls at 7:00 am. The BOS stated they do not oversee elections that is the Town Clerk’s responsibility. The Selectmen will mention this matter to her.
· Goose Pond Road – asked if there could be more speed limits signs installed along this road. The ongoing high rate of speed traveled on this road is unreal. The Road Commissioner explained currently there are the sufficient number of speed limits signs posted. The BOS did suggest having York County Sheriff’s Department monitor the traffic with their radar equipment. The Executive Secretary will follow up with YC Sheriff’s department to schedule the radar equipment be placed on Goose Pond Road. Another matter he discussed was seeking the BOS approve to contact DEP regarding the passage canal from Goose Pond to Mousam Lake. Roland would like permission to have the canal dredged out. This is a water quality concern and should be addressed. The project is beyond the scope of the Road Commissioners responsibilities. The BOS stated that currently there is no Town funding and that a warrant article would be needed to seek permission and funding. The Selectmen have no issue with Roland contacting DEP regarding dredging the canal.
· Road Commissioners Report:
· John Burnell, Road Commissioner – North, stated the work on the Jones Road continues along with beginning the road project on Mann Road. Materials that John will be using along the slopes will be non-polluted ash (which is tested yearly) from the Transfer Station. William J. Mageary asked John if the work that has been approved by the Planning Board for the Moody Property would be completed by the Planning Board deadline. John stated he has that work scheduled and will be completed by the end of July 2014.
· Richard Goodwin, Road Commissioner – South, stated he continues to work on the Tattle Street project.
· Unfinished Business:
a. Committee Application for Planning Board Alternate - This matter will remain under unfinished business to allow for further discussion.
b. Shapleigh Fire Department Junior Fire Fighter Policy – This matter will remain under unfinished business to allow for a meeting to be scheduled with the Fire Chief and Board of Selectmen.
c. Waterboro and Alfred Fire/Rescue Departments Request – Michael S. Perro reviewed the letter where the Towns of Waterboro and Alfred are transferring their communication PSAP/Dispatch service from the City of Sanford to the City of Biddeford. The dispatch frequencies will be changed and are asking for the Town of Shapleigh to program their radios according with a cost to the Town of approximately $600.00. The BOS would like to make an offer of each town pay a 1/3 of that cost. Follow up with the Towns of Waterboro and Alfred is needed.
d. 2014 Paving Bid Results: a discussion took place regarding the two quotes. John Burnell wanted to clarify the bid for Pike Industries, specifically the quote states a total tonnage price and price per ton. Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to award the bid for paving to Pike Industries, Inc contingent on verification the price is per ton and the Town is not liable for price for total tonnage of paving. Confirmation/verification will be through the Road Commissioner, John Burnell. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
· New Business:
a) Public Hearing re: General Assistance Amendments – Michael S. Perro, Chairman Pro Tem (Chairman Mark R. Cobb was needed at the Planning Board meeting) opened the public hearing for public discussion. One resident had a generalized question regarding “what is general assistance”. The Executive Secretary reviewed the program and requirements. Motion was made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to end public comment and to adopt the General Assistance Ordinance as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
b) MMA Ballot for Elections to MMA’s Legislative Policy Committee – Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro voted to cast their vote for the candidate presented on the ballot. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
c) Memo from Town Clerk – The Town Clerk is requesting the Town Hall office be closed on Saturday, July 26, 2014 since that is community day and past practice has been to close on that day. The Selectmen were in full agreement with this request.
d) Letter to Resident re: Tree on 21st Street – further follow up is needed to make a determination of where the tree is actually located on 21st Street. Road Commissioner, Richard Goodwin will visit the location and take measurements for the Board of Selectmen.
e) Shapleigh Commons Reservation – Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J. Mageary to approve reservation as requested. Motion carried.
f) Quote to have Town Hall Floors Refinished – one quote has been received. The BOS has asked for an additional quote in order to have a comparison.
g) Vacation Request – The Executive Secretary has requested 3 vacation days. Motion made by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to approve request as presented. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously.
h) Executive Session Pursuant to 1 MRSA 406 Personnel Matter – Motion made at 8:41 pm by William J. Mageary, Seconded by Michael S. Perro to enter into an executive session pursuant to 1 MRSA 406 for a personnel matter. No further discussion. Motion carried unanimously. The Selectmen came out of executive session at 8:46 pm.
a) Planning Board Agenda and Minutes
· Vacation Request
· General Assistance Ordinance
· MMA ballot
· Shapleigh Commons Reservation
· Motion made by Michael S. Perro, Seconded by William J. Mageary to adjourn the meeting at 8:49 pm. Motion passed.
Submitted by Karla Bergeron, Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen. These minutes are not verbatim.
Board of Selectmen
August 20, 2014 2:30 PM